The Sydney Statement is an interfaith charter of practical steps for Building Bridges Between Believers from Different Religions.
The Sydney Statement is inspired by similar interfaith statements from other cities e.g. The Athens Declaration 2015, The Beirut Declaration 2017 and The Washington Declaration 2018. Like them, it is named after the city where it originated, but we believe this interfaith charter is “world class”, and therefore relevant to the rest of Australia and to the world! It is a great resource for schools, councils and anyone involved in community relations in multicultural, multi-religious societies around the world.
The Sydney Statement has been developed by Youth PoWR (Parliament of the World’s Religions), a coalition of young adults from different religions in Sydney, over two years of consultations and drafting. It is published at www.thesydneystatement.org.au.
Youth PoWR invites believers from all religions and all people of goodwill to sign up to the values, principles and commitments of The Sydney Statement on the dedicated website.
- A-1 and A-4 posters (short version)
- A-5 booklet (long version)
- A dedicated website
The posters and booklet are attractively designed.
- The pdf files can be downloaded free from the website.
- Professionally printed versions are available for purchase from the online shop.
The Sydney Statement website is rich in practical and theoretical interfaith resources, including:
- References to international documents that back up its values and principles
- Suggested concrete actions for carrying out its 21 commitments and resources for doing so
- Links to websites of national and international interreligious organisations
- Articles on interreligious dialogue
- Endorsements by religious/community and civic leaders
- Stories of how people are living out The Sydney Statement
- and much more.
The Sydney Statement project is an initiative of the Columban Centre for Christian-Muslim Relations, in partnership with Western Sydney University. It is supported by the NSW Government with a COMPACT Grant through Multicultural NSW and is underwritten by St Columban’s Mission Society in Australia.
We thank Youth PoWR for leading this inspiring and challenging interfaith initiative.
We join with Youth PoWR and invite you to sign up to The Sydney Statement and to spread it far and wide in our multicultural, multi-religious society.
The Executive Team
The Sydney Statement